Recent Reviews

Free DHTML scripts provided by
Dynamic Drive

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Review: Zombies vs. Unicorns ed. Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier



Zombies vs. Unicorns is an anthology I've been looking forward to ever since I heard there was such a thing. It didn't hurt that it was partially edited by Holly Black who I adore. Before reading the anthology, I thought I might actually be Team Unicorn. Not because I swoon over unicorns but more because I found zombies to be sort of gross and well, boring. I didn't love Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (forgive me YA powers that be!) and have never actually seen a zombie movie.

That being said.... I think I am TEAM ZOMBIE! What?! How could this have happened?! Well, let me tell you: those were some awesome stories. Love Will Tear Us Apart by Alaya Dawn Johnson might be my favourite. I never thought I'd love a zombie love story so much. I loved Maureen Johnson's Children of the Revolution in which an Angelina Jolie-clone raises zombie children. Libba Bray's Prom Night was also really haunting but in a good way. A sad, but oddly moving story.

That isn't to say that I didn't like the unicorn stories - I did! I particularly loved Purity Test by Naomi Novik - and not only because it takes place in my favourite city, New York. Also really loved Diana Peterfreund's The Care and Feeding of Your Baby Killer Unicorn. Am thinking I may have to read her other unicorn stories!

What I really loved about this anthology was that it broke type. There were gross zombie stories and ethereal unicorn stories, sure, but there were also funny unicorn stories and touching zombie love stories (and those were the best ones).

It defied my expectations and made it one of my favourite short story anthologies that I've read in a long while. Definitely recommended!

reviewed from library copy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...