Recent Reviews

Free DHTML scripts provided by
Dynamic Drive

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Review: 7 Kinds of Ordinary Catastrophes by Amber Kizer

7 Kinds of Ordinary Catastrophes by Amber Kizer - 4/5 stars


Okay, so here's the deal: there are books about volcanoes erupting and meteorites hitting Earth and plane crashes where the survivors have to eat people—those are extraordinary crises.


That's not what this book is about. I'm more the ordinary catastrophe type. This second semester of my sophomore year, there are basically 7 KINDS OF ORDINARY CATASTROPHES: high school, boys, heartbreak, family, job, friends, and the future.


Well, I guess everyone's life is full of ordinary catastrophes. These are mine. Hi, I'm Gert Garibaldi. Welcome to my crazy life.

-Goodreads.com

Gert is probably the first to admit that she's a bit of a spaz. Maybe that's why I could relate to her so well? Her narrative voice is super quirky and hilarious and she likes to go on semi-wild tangents which usually had me giggling. I brought it with me to the beach and it was a perfect, lighter beach read. I kept interrupting my friends to read parts of it which is usually the sign of a good book.

My favourite parts of the book were things that I never thought I'd like hearing about - soccer practice! Gert's BFF convinces her to try out for the new female soccer team and to her mortification she actually makes the team. Her descriptions of the practices had me laughing out loud.

The plot of Seven Kinds feels like a highschool year. It has its ups and downs and the climax of the book really isn't what you think it will be. While there is boy drama, it's unresolved at the end which might point towards a sequel or may just point towards realistic high school experience.

If there is another semester of Gert in the works, I'd love to read about it!

Recommended to fans of Ruby Oliver (while I'm only a few chapters in to The Boyfriend List, Gert's neurotic voice sounds a lot like Ruby).

Seven Kinds of Ordinary Catastrophe hits shelves April 5th, 2011.

(reviewed from an ARC. Thanks Random House!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...